Guidelines for the Applicant
Emmaus Glasgow is a community of “companions”. And as with any community there are many different types of people here who must live and work together. We need to be sure that this is the right place for you, and we want you to feel the same. All information that you provide will be kept confidential and follows the procedures of the Data Protection Act.
The assessment process is, therefore, a two-way one. We are assessing you for your suitability to join this community, and we expect you to be doing the same to us.
- Please give as much information as you can. We will assess you on your present and likely future suitability, not on your past
- You must sign to give your consent for information about you to be passed to us at Emmaus Glasgow
- We will process your application as quickly as possible and will normally contact you within five working days of receiving it
- Please do not hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions about your application.
As a member of the community you must:
- Sign off all Income Support and Job Seekers Allowance
- Take an active part in the life of the community
- Do the work that is asked of you, to the best of your ability
- Respect the community and other companions.
In return we will provide you with your own en-suite room, all your meals, toiletries, work clothing and an allowance of £32 per week (plus an additional £5 every week banked for you for when you leave).
Working, usually within our second-hand furniture business, provides an opportunity to develop skills, gain appropriate qualifications and experience, as well as giving you the knowledge that you have earned your right to enjoy the facilities of Emmaus Glasgow.
There are 300 Emmaus communities throughout the world (although Glasgow is the first one in Scotland). These communities have the same basic rules that all companions must follow: no alcohol or drugs on the premises and no claiming benefits.
We need you to understand and follow these rules and to support and assist the Management Team in ensuring that these rules are kept so that the community can be a safe and welcoming home for us all.
Thank you for your interest in Emmaus Glasgow.